11.29.2009

Cyber Monday is here, and so is the coolest holiday gift guide yet (says me)

It's become a cliche to say that blogs are about one's passions - or at least the successful ones generally are. And I was using that line one day, when someone asked me about Cool Mom Picks: So, are you passionate about shopping then?


I said no.

I like shoppping. Hell to the yeah. I make no bones about that. But Cool Mom Picks doesn't reflect our passion for shopping - it reflects our passion for supporting small businesses, great design, responsible consumerism, and our love of connecting moms to helpful resources--and to one another.

(Also being able to write fun copy about products without a client telling me to make the logo bigger or take out the expression "hell to the yeah." I admit I like that part a whoooole lot. Maybe too much.)

So this year as we were weeding through literally thousands of pitches and ideas to put together our fourth (wow) Holiday Gift Guide, we really thought what would really be helpful to parents, is suggesting relatively affordable items that are still cool. In other words, you don't have to sell your soul at the store rhyming with ball-fart to get a gift a kid will adore for $6.95, or a custom piece of keepsake jewelry for under $30, or a personalized piece of original art for the grandparents that should probably cost ten times the price it does.

So I'm just going to go ahead and say that I'm extra proud of the Holiday Gift Guide this year. If you click over (please click over? Please? Please?) you'll find more than 100 gift ideas for everyone from the eco fashionista, to your Twilight-obsessed niece, to teachers and nannies, and the stay-at-home dad who's earned a little time to himself. And spurred by the economy (grrrr economy) we've included one pick under $20 in every category and a ton of kids gifts under $12. Plus a whole section of charitable giving ideas that are extra awesome in their own right.

Holiday Gift Guide

The same way we're working hard trying to support mom-run businesses in a brutal economy, we hope that you'll be so kind as to support ours by putting one of our lovely buttons on your blog or website. In return, we will think many good things about you.

Also, we'll enter you to win a truly awesome $450 (hello!) prize package from our two delicious sponsors, The Fine Art of Family and Chronicle Books. Details are all on the guide.

Thanks mamas. Happy shopping. And thanks for supporting something that means so much to me, to Kristen, and to the rest of our incredible team.


15 Comments:

Anonymous beyond said...

great gift guide! (i don't click over enough...)

11/29/09, 10:56 PM  
Blogger Lady M said...

It's a great gift guide! I had a flower hairband much like the one in the $12 section - my favorite accessory for a good five years of my early life. Thanks for bringing back the memory.

11/30/09, 12:41 AM  
Blogger thecostofliving said...

Love the ideas - and huge, huge props to you for including a stay-at-home-dad section!! That's the first time I've seen that, and my hard-working husband deserves it. :)

11/30/09, 2:30 AM  
Blogger Laura Cousins said...

I wonder if you have a similar version of this guide for people in the United Kingdom? ~toddles off to have a look~

11/30/09, 4:58 AM  
Blogger toyfoto said...

Ok. ... So you got me on this one. Two gifts out of the way.

11/30/09, 7:01 AM  
Blogger Mom101 said...

cost of living - thank you! Having a former SAHD around here, I agree.

Lozzie, in fact we're doing a great UK shop round-up this week. Funny you should ask...

11/30/09, 7:02 AM  
Anonymous Motherhood Uncensored said...

I shopped from it last night. The gamefly membership just saved me from dropping who knows what on a Guitar Hero collection.

11/30/09, 8:53 AM  
Blogger PS~Erin said...

awesome list... I've never been to will dill and I've got a cart full over there for my little guy. I just need to do some editing before I click purchase. Thanks!

11/30/09, 9:07 AM  
Blogger Homevalley said...

This is fabulous... Now that I am embarking on new motherhood, I will be a frequent visitor to the site!

11/30/09, 10:25 AM  
Blogger justmakingourway said...

I have already found several things that I hope to get! What great kids stuff! Thanks to all for putting it together.

11/30/09, 4:12 PM  
Blogger Dree said...

I found two gifts I didn't know I was looking for :) Thanks!

11/30/09, 5:30 PM  
Anonymous Julie @ The Mom Slant said...

I'm genuinely in love with our gift guide, and I can say that with impunity because I'm the ad gal.

11/30/09, 8:39 PM  
Blogger Cindy Rowland said...

This guide is fantasic. I so want the @ necklace.

11/30/09, 9:06 PM  
Blogger Jaelithe said...

I can also express my love for the gift guide with impunity since I'm just the SEO consultant and had nothing to do with making the picks. It rocks.

12/2/09, 11:09 AM  
Blogger Sarah Rath said...

So far I've ordered a personal stamper for my niece this year from a business on etsy because of your guide. You guys make it easy and find special items for us in ball-fart USA who hate to shop but want to find the perfect thing and have exactly 30 seconds to devote to the process.

I might have to write about you on my blog and I am not going to have to disclose anything because I will do it because I WANT to and I want NOTHING for it except to spread the word to other sisters! (((hugs)))

12/3/09, 8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home