1.04.2007

Blorgy

With a sick child at home - just an ear infection; uncomfortable but not threatening - what's a decent, responsible mother to do?

No idea.

Me, I went out with the menfolk.

Nate was calling it the Drunken Blogger Orgy which Doug immediately shortened to Blorgy. And if by Blorgy one means a pregnant woman nursing a club soda and plate of hummus in a Soho bar while discussing toilet training methods and bloggers with book deals, then by God, Blorgy it was!

I was honored just to be invited along with the elite NYC dadblogger set: The effervescent Pierre, aka MetroDad; the erudite Doug, aka Laid-Off Dad; and the comic savant Tony, aka Crouton Boy, who remarkably, has committed every headline ever written for the Onion to memory. Greg from Daddytypes canceled at the last minute with some lame excuse about his kid, preschool starting in another city, blah blah blah...I don't know. Sounds like BS to me.

I definitely knew I was in low-estrogen territory the moment the waitress recommended the Cuban Pork Sandwich and three sets of eyes lit up. Still, they made me feel right at home and not y chromosomally-challenged in the least. Pierre even fed me fries, as promised in his last post, even if I still am waiting for ice cream and that belly rub.

For those of you who know and read these prolific writers, I'm going to let you in on some of the scintillating conversation:

Tony: Hey, Sesame Street came out with a new Old School video...
Group: No way! Awesome! So cool! Where did you get it? Wow!

Pierre: So I'm starting to work with Peanut on the potty on the weekends...
Group: No way! Awesome! So cool! Wow!

Yes, this is what happens when parents get together, no matter how cool they may seem.

Soon enough the conversation evolved to all things comedy and pop culture and occasionally, blogging. I admit my eyes glazed over when the discussion veered to sports blogs for a brief moment, but fear not female readers (except you, Sarah). It returned to someplace more accessible in no time. Highlights included LA versus NY, the evolution/devolution of Saturday Night Live, how anyone who doesn't think Dooce is an amazing writer is an idiot, babble.com, alternative comedy, the Muppet Show, Pierre's encounter with Jimmy Fallon, my almost-date with Will Arnett, Uma Thurman's alleged affection for ecstasy, neighborhood celebrity sightings (Paul Giamatti at the playground! Paul Giamatti at the gym!), the two-child debate (since three is inconceivable in this city), Soho House, literary agents, John Podhoretz, Rob Walker, Freakonomics, 80s music, and the poor excuse for Matt Damon's character arc in The Good Shepherd.

In short, nothing of substance.

Ah, the perfect evening.

If any of the wives are reading, I assure you that all three were perfect gentlemen. I didn't catch a one staring at my boobs, not even once. And that takes a whole lot of will these days.


33 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

That must have been a great experience but also nerve wracking - possibly fretting that one might not be able to match their rapier-like wit especially alkless. You must have felt honoured and well done. (Possibly split that sentence.) Well done!

1/4/07, 10:38 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Us chicks in Columbus (a mommy story, cheerios and chicken, life with aveline) just don't get that level of testosterone on our night out! But then again, alcohol was flowing pretty freely so that was a fine substitute for me ;)

Sounds like a fun night out! I can't help but miss my days in NYC everytime I read your blog. Thanks for taking me back!

1/4/07, 10:49 AM  
Blogger Karyn said...

Holy Blog Envy.

NYC...A Night Out...Fellow Bloggers...

So. Freaking. Jealous.

But - at the same time - happy for you. (I'm capable of this sort of duality in my emotional range. Swear.)

1/4/07, 11:26 AM  
Blogger Binky said...

Back when I was in my second trimester, that would've been a dangerous game indeed. I was inclined to hump anything that walked. My husband would've probably insisted on chaperoning. On the other hand, maybe he would've appreciated the break.

1/4/07, 11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sister in law had a Jimmy Fallon encounter the last time she was in the city! He must get around...

Oh cuban sandwiches... oh the nitrates.

1/4/07, 12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Metro fed you fries?

Damnit.

1/4/07, 1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am de-lurking sort of to tell you I am so jealous and I wish I could have been there. ;)

Issa

1/4/07, 1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm effervescent? Woo hoo!

Anyway, the pleasure was all mine, Liz. Always great hanging with you. Let's do it again soon (with or without spouses and kids.) I'll bring the ice cream and the belly rub!

1/4/07, 2:11 PM  
Blogger J said...

Sounds like a fabulous evening, and I'm totally jealous.

1/4/07, 2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sooooooooo jealous.

Especially of the football talk part.

1/4/07, 4:01 PM  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Oh man, hot blogger man action. I'm soo very jealous.

1/4/07, 4:10 PM  
Blogger Lumpyheadsmom said...

You're such a rock star.

1/4/07, 5:50 PM  
Blogger metro mama said...

What a dream team. Sounds like fun.

1/4/07, 6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent! Ah, I'm jealous... Hopefully, we can all manage an LA blorgy sometime this year. We've got enough of us out here to make it happen.

1/4/07, 6:46 PM  
Blogger Sara (Self-Made Mom) said...

did your friends get blunk?
(ok that was bad)

1/4/07, 9:37 PM  
Blogger MrsFortune said...

Gah. I hate, I mean love, you all. :-) You better get that ice cream, woman. Gotta keep him honest.

1/4/07, 10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I especially enjoyed the comedy geekery. Like the many vicissitudes of the Harold.

And no. You never caught me.

1/4/07, 10:51 PM  
Blogger ms blue said...

Hangin with the guys... A night out with fellow bloggers... Ah, what could be better? Thanks for dishing up the good times!

1/4/07, 11:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooooo, naughty naughty LOD.

awesome awesome. thanks for letting some of us live vicariously.

1/4/07, 11:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm imagining this was like the old Algonquin round table, with you as Dorothy Parker, only the talk was about which brand of pull-ups work best, Huggies or Pampers. I'm so very jealous.

1/5/07, 12:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to be part of a Round Table...even one talking only of diaper rash...would thrill me these days.

1/5/07, 2:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like great fun. I was in NYC for a couple of weeks last year before spending a month in Mexico and went out with Pierre and Tony one night. They probably though I was going to mug and beat the crap out of them since I emailed them out of the blue and asked them to come out for drinks.

We had a nice night filled with single malt and talk about life. I really liked it and when I go to NYC later this year I will definitely ask you and some others to come out for a few drinks. I was scheduled to go next month but will instead hang out in Mexico for 5 weeks.

Nice weekend

AD

1/5/07, 4:36 AM  
Blogger mrsgreen said...

I'm relatively new to blogging (since October), and am so enamoured of you all and your witty writing. Seriously, I flip through blogs like celebrity mags. Congratulations on the good company (and your pregnancy!). I live in Brooklyn - not too far - maybe we'll share a cuban sandwich someday?

1/5/07, 12:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

it sounds. blorgasmic! (excuse me while i go and titter to myself over that one).

1/5/07, 2:48 PM  
Blogger Kyran said...

I agree with the three-kids-too-hard-to-handle-in-nyc theory. when we were there two summers ago on a layover, I found the only reasonable way to manage it was to herd everyone on top of a double decker bus and just stay on it. even so, the baby kept trying to escape into central park everytime we made a pass.

I felt like hanging a sign on my neck that read: in no way do I identify with any other person riding this bus.

to offset the large L on my forehead.

1/5/07, 6:17 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

What good boys, I can't believe they didn't look at your boobs!!

Sounds like a fun night, being one of the boys and offered pulled pork instead of salad with vinegarette!!

Carrie

1/6/07, 12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not fair! You always get to hang out with all the cool dad bloggers (but they're even luckier 'cause they get to hang with you!)

1/6/07, 4:00 AM  
Blogger Damselfly said...

A blorgy! Sounds like fun. Hope your little one is feeling better.

1/6/07, 1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the record, they're 34 D

TW

1/6/07, 1:36 PM  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

Ah, so jealous. So, so jealous. But happy for them, of course. The mens, that is.

1/6/07, 7:38 PM  
Blogger Mom101 said...

Crouton Boy - if ONLY they were a D. Oh, would I be happy.

1/7/07, 1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it was a blorgy, does that make you guys blorgyist?

Kids Storybook Crazy

1/8/07, 4:11 PM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Ah! Wish I could make it to one of those!

1/9/07, 8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home