11.23.2007

So Why is It Called Black Friday if it Puts My Credit Card in the Red?

And Then We Slaughtered All The Native People...


Aw, just kidding. I'm not so PC that we didn't enjoy the most wonderful, non-commercial holiday of the year with friends, family, and Nate's homemade stuffing with wild mushrooms, bacon lardons and chestnuts that, after the third serving, I've identified as the culprit that did me in for the night.

I'm far too full to get my butt out of the house to go shopping with the rest of the crazy people today. Am I alone here?

If you're like me, consider doing it all online. Cool Mom Picks just came out with our second annual Holiday Shopping Guide with so much cool stuff from smaller businesses and independent designers, I have no idea where we found the time to track it all down.

Cool Mom Picks Holiday Guide

Help us spread the word about it and post one of the neato Holiday Guide buttons on your blog, and we'll automatically enter you in a drawing to win a $250 gift certificate to Zutano. Whoo! Free clothes for the kids. Good ones, too! Just email info@coolmompicks.com and send us your url.

And if it's toys on your brain, in this, The Year of the Recall, you'll also find awesome suggestions in the Cool Mom Picks Safer Toy Guide.

Bonus: None of them take batteries. Which make them very welcome gifts for parents too.

So what was the dish that did you in last night? And no fair saying turkey.


14 Comments:

Blogger Cynthia said...

I gotta say the two hour drive to Grandma's and back did me in. I'm going to check out the Cool Mom toy guide...This China thing is really crazy! Thanks for the heads up...no way I am going shopping today, no way!!!

11/23/07, 1:21 PM  
Blogger Lawyer Mama said...

I'm all over that button.

I think the wine actually did me in. That or the 3 servings of corn and tamale casserole. Yummy!

And I haven't gotten out of my PJ's yet and it's 2pm. No shopping for me. Not when I can simply clickety, click, click, click on my laptop.

11/23/07, 2:03 PM  
Blogger Motherhood Uncensored said...

Bacon lardons?

Damn you guys are fancy.

(I have absolutely no idea what those are, but they sound incredibly chic).

11/23/07, 5:39 PM  
Blogger Mom101 said...

MU, they are incredibly laden with cholesterol, which, in some circles, might qualify as chic.

11/23/07, 5:49 PM  
Blogger prescott said...

Working retail in my teens at one of the busiest malls in the U.S. killed Black Friday for me forever. And I haven't done any major xmas shopping at a brick and mortar since... oh, I don't know, when did Amazon and Toys 'R Us go online?

11/23/07, 9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I refuse to get up and be at a store at 4 AM to get a bargain. And when I went into a sotre today to get a necessity, I ran into some of the rudest, most obnoxious so called humans I have ever encountered.

11/23/07, 9:59 PM  
Blogger Mom101 said...

Grandmere, I'm with you. I think those deals are compensated for with a misery tax.

11/24/07, 8:05 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Grandmere is so right.

Black Friday is the day I'm least likely to be shopping in stores. Thanks to your safer toy guide, all of our holiday shopping was completed without a single trip to the store. It made shopping with confidence much easier too. Thanks!

And, I think it was the pie crust cinnamon rolls that did me in, chock full of real butter, sugar and cinnamon.

11/24/07, 5:18 PM  
Blogger Henny Penny said...

I did not get enough pie Thursday, so today we came hoem and I made two chocolate pecan pies w/ inspiration from Orange Tangerine and one pumpkin pie. Bob and I plan to spend the evening getting pie eyed and later apply Redi-Whip directly to the face.

11/24/07, 9:10 PM  
Blogger josetteplank.com said...

Done and done!

For me, it was the stuffing. Always the stuffing.

11/25/07, 12:13 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

It's a toss up between the stuffed mushrooms and candied yams. Yum yum! I love Thanksgiving, but definitely not the day after.

This year, to avoid being anywhere near a store on Black Friday, I finished my Christmas shopping 2 days before Thanksgiving. Call me crazy, but at least I'm done!

But I still may have to check out the safer toy guide. Thanks!

11/25/07, 11:18 AM  
Blogger cooler*doula said...

So - perhaps that was a rhetorical question - but I'll answer it anyway. As someone whose working life used to entail getting up at 2 or 3am on Black Friday to WRITE about the shopping insanity.

Black Friday = day retailers move out of the red and into the black for the year. heck of a business model, eh?

The further in the red you are, the better for them.

And for the first time in years, I have actually found (and ordered) the spousal unit an amazing Christmas prezzie, courtesy of the CMP holiday guide.

Fonks!

11/25/07, 4:03 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I did some shopping at Amazon on Friday, but that's the extent of my participation in Black Friday. I cannot muster the courage to face throngs of people who've actually waited in line for hours for a store to open its doors when they should still be crusty with sleep and beneath some covers.

No thank you.

What did me in? Well, I'm gonna say the pies, probably, but it was also several helpings of my own cranberry ginger relish. Oh, the tart and spicy goodness! I'm a sucker for anything ginger!

11/25/07, 8:44 PM  
Blogger Sarahviz said...

I was one of the crazies out at 5am on Black Friday. But the deals! Yeah, it was totally overhyped.

And the wine did me in. Does that count?

11/26/07, 2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home