2.09.2009

Mad Libs, 3 year old style

For some reason, Nate has been inordinately excited to do Mad Libs with the kids from the day they were born. Thalia could hardy say the word "noun" before he was stocking up on those little pads and dreaming of the day we could lie around filling in the blanks and making up high-LA-rious stories about visits to purple farms, petting curly elephants and windy llamas.

I am convinced he had his first sexual experience around Mad Libs. There is no other rationale, really.

And so...Mad Libs it is. Thalia loves them. It's good clean fun. And it gets the TV off.

What we hadn't counted on however is that Thalia, at 3 1/2, falls back on the same two or three words for each part of speech.

Verb: Flip

Adjective: Short, pink, flippy.

Noun: TV, lemonade, flip

Person in room: Mommy

Liquid: Lemonade

Exclamation: WOW! LOOK AT THAT PONYTAIL!

We haven't gotten quite up to explaining adverbs yet. I know I could say "word ending in -ly" and help her fudge her way through it but I fear she'll be a smart ass like my brother always was and answer Fly.


14 Comments:

Blogger Summer said...

Oh my gosh!!!

I love the sexual experience quote. Freaking funny!

2/10/09, 12:05 AM  
Blogger J said...

lolly lolly lolly get your adverbs here....

Really, you don't have schoolhouse rock on DVD? Must buy.

2/10/09, 12:25 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

Agreed. I bought it before I even had a kid. I show it in my high school classroom - as a matter of fact, we just watched Lolly last week!
I'm a HUGE fan of MadLibs and can't wait until C is old enough. I love Thalia's words and, really, doesn't "flip" say it all?

2/10/09, 5:39 AM  
Blogger Wicked Step Mom said...

We usually do mad libs on long road trips. Last time we ended up with Purple Nerple Gerbil Juice... The pets have never felt the same about us and they kind of stare at us in fear whenever we walk by their cage with a cup.

2/10/09, 8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can also do madlibs on www.funbrain.com. They have the nouns, verbs, and adjectives floating around and you can select them (which is great for word recognition). My kids love it and they're 6 and 8.

2/10/09, 9:38 AM  
Blogger BOSSY said...

Mad Libs. You have taken Bossy back. Siiiigh.

2/10/09, 9:40 AM  
Blogger The Mother said...

Arghh! The mad-libs stage! So glad my kids grew out of it.

They'd read the stupid stories they put together and soda would stream out their noses.

There are very few days when I thank the spirits of the universe for World of Warcraft, but you just reminded me that it's time.

2/10/09, 11:53 AM  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

If it were my kid every other word would be "butt". I promise, I didn't teach her that.

2/10/09, 12:20 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Ha! I was going to say what Tania said...it would be butt for the nouns and fart for the verbs. I'm raising a classy brood.

2/10/09, 1:23 PM  
Blogger Julie Marsh said...

One more reason you guys have to find your way out here - we've got a huge Mad Libs tablet, and a couple of diehard Mad Libs fans. Oh, and a total lack of variety in the answers given by the kids too.

(And word verification is "dadingle")

2/10/09, 2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good CLEAN fun? Obviously you don't do Mad Libs the way we do them, baby.

2/10/09, 3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe I was too serious as a kid, but I never enjoyed Mad Libs. Even as a kid they just seemed silly (not in the good way)

2/10/09, 5:18 PM  
Blogger Cookie said...

some sweet talk and petting get our tv off. lol, sorry I had to!

2/12/09, 1:12 AM  
Blogger RookieMom Whitney said...

I was telling my kid about -ing because he's interested in how things are spelled. So blathering about action, jumping and walking and such. He comes back with "warning". Apparently he has been given a handful of those in his day.

2/23/09, 5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home