1.15.2010

The Kindness of Strangers

This here blog space, this is one amazing place.

To an outsider, of course there is the drama and cattiness and You suck No, you do and grandstanding and I'm going to make a name for myself by being a total douche to you all in the name of speaking my mind. But there's also what I saw here on this very blog this week. And it's mindblowingly special.

I cannot thank all of you enough for your kindness, warmth and generosity of spirit this week. It's been a toughie, that's for sure. And seeing the number people - many of whom wouldn't know me if we smacked into each other at a Journey concert - who took a moment out of their days to say something comforting is just astounding.

You didn't have to.

But you did. 

I have often a hard time with posts about tragic circumstances. I never know what to say. I always struggle, thinking it has to be The Very Most Perfect Thing To Say. I'm here to tell you that now I know that none of that matters. It was enough to know not how you cared, but that you cared. From the comments to the tweets to the emails saying simply "yo, you okay?" or "Thinking of you."

Indeed, every single one was the Very Most Perfect Thing To Say.

I will never again question the need of another blogger to reach out online in a time of need. Whenever, however. Because the support and healing I was able to achieve with help from you all wasn't virtual at all.


17 Comments:

Anonymous Boston Mamas said...

Huge hugs. Always. Virtually or not. -Christine

1/15/10, 8:55 AM  
Blogger Fairly Odd Mother said...

For all the love you give, you deserve it all back to you, in spades. Hugs always.

1/15/10, 10:03 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Well said. From someone else who relates to the what's the "most perfect thing to say?" line of thinking. The kindness of strangers is a wonderful feeling/thing.

1/15/10, 10:10 AM  
Anonymous MetroDad said...

Oh Liz, I'm so sorry for your loss. Been away from the computer for awhile and just saw this. Deepest condolences to you and your entire family. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

1/15/10, 11:08 AM  
Anonymous Kami said...

You are so lovely. Really.

1/15/10, 11:25 AM  
Blogger Jenny Grace said...

Always hugs to you. Still thinking of your lovely family.

1/15/10, 12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You continue to remind me what I love about blogging, and the blogging community. No one deserves the kindness of (virtual) strangers more, I say.

1/15/10, 1:01 PM  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

The Internet can be unforgiving, but it can also be soothing, heartening, *saving.* It's saved me. It's heartened and soothed me. So glad that it - that we - did the same for you.

1/15/10, 1:09 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I've been thinking of you. Hope all is well.

Steph

1/15/10, 1:32 PM  
Blogger Melissa Angert {All Things Chic} said...

been thinking of you. i've been there and i know its hard. {{hug}}

1/15/10, 1:35 PM  
Blogger justmakingourway said...

And just as we would of course want to send our love and support, it is not even really necessary for you to thank us so eloquently. We're here because we want to be here - for you.

1/15/10, 2:37 PM  
Anonymous Evan said...

It's always a comfort to know that someone, somewhere cares. I care too. I'm sorry for you loss.

1/15/10, 3:12 PM  
Anonymous MDTaz said...

You reap what you sow.

1/15/10, 3:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I didn't say anything, because I didn't know if it mattered.
And now I see that of course it does.
Prayer are with you and your family in this loss.

You have brought me a sense of community,and you deserve anything you ask of it.

1/15/10, 6:47 PM  
Blogger Alyssa S. said...

The thing I love most about blogging is the community of amazing people I've met...who all know how to make a bad day just a little better, one voice at a time.

1/15/10, 7:59 PM  
Blogger Lara said...

There are a lot of gross feelings and people in the world (and the blogosphere), but there is a whole lot of love too. You deserve lots and lots of the love. :)

1/16/10, 2:26 AM  
Blogger Cheri said...

Still thinking of you....

1/16/10, 5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home