11.12.2010

How to be an amazing Grandma: A lesson in 2 emails

Hi Grandma and Papa,

I'm feeling a little bit better. I'm doing nothing. I'm cuddling with mommy.

I watched a movie called Ponyo. It was about a girl named Ponyo and she was a fish and she was a girl. And I watched a movie and I don't remember its name (The Neverending Story) and I couldn't watch the whole thing because Sage didn't like it.

I went to the Yankee Fair a little time and I got a really good treat. It was fun there. I said something that is really funny: Good thing I did nothing at the Yankee Fair. That's just a little joke.

We made Mommy a funny face. We putted too much makeup on her. It was really funny. Mommy put makeup on me and Sage and we looked pretty. Even though Mom looked a little funny. She had too much eyeshadow on her. And it made her pretty funny.

I'm having a good time at school. Even though on Saturdays and Sundays I don't go to school. Some people say they won't like school, some people say they don't like school, and some people say they do.

I love you. I hope I see you soon.

Thalia


-----

Hi Thalia,

We just finished eating dinner. Grandma thought she was a turtle. She only ate green vegetables and a little rice. She ate spinach and lettuce and red peppers and corn and sweet potatoes. Papa ate some meat. He thought he was a bear! Then we listened to a DVD by Willie Nelson, Grandma's favorite singer. Did you know that your mom asked Willie Nelson to autograph a picture of himself for her? We will show it to you the next time you are here. Papa even asked Grandma to dance when they heard a special song. They were dancing all around the house. It was so funny. Sometimes Grandma was the leader. Sometimes Papa was.

We wish you had taken a picture of your mom in her makeup. Maybe next Halloween you can put make up on her to go trick or treating. Then all of the people will say, "Thalia and Sage, you should open a beauty salon."

We are so glad that you like school. Grandma and Papa liked school so much that we both became teachers.  We are the kids who always liked school. Once Grandma got in trouble because she was talking when the teacher said, "Shhhh. No talking, children." She had to stand outside in the hallway. She was so embarrassed that she started to cry. The first word Grandma learned to read was THE. She found the word in one of Momsie's books and felt so grown up, because she could read the word all by herself. Papa's mom and dad read to him every night, just like your mom does. His favorite books were The Wind in the Willows and Winnie the Pooh. Reading is so much fun because now we can send each other emails and tell each other what we are doing.

When you feel better Papa will take you on a ride in the wheelbarrow filled with straw and Grandma will teach you how to use the sewing machine. Maybe we can make a special present for your mom since she is such a good sport for letting you put make up on her.

We are glad you are teaching Sage some important lessons like how to draw noses on people's faces and how to be very kind to animals. She is so lucky to have a sister like you. And we are jumping for joy to have a granddaughter like you.

We hope you have very pleasant dreams tonight. We will call you tomorrow to see how you are feeling.

XXXXOOOOO Hugs and kisses,
Grandma and Papa


26 Comments:

Anonymous Amanda said...

A turtle and a bear...Brilliant!

11/12/10, 7:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well. That's pretty much awesome. I wish Grandma was my grandma...

11/12/10, 7:58 AM  
Blogger Fairly Odd Mother said...

I love this. Who says emails are impersonal? I could feel the hugs and love oozing through the letters on the screen.

11/12/10, 8:02 AM  
Blogger jana0926 said...

Oh, that is so insanely sweet. I want Grandma and Grandpa to come live with me <3

11/12/10, 8:47 AM  
Blogger Marinka said...

Please have them copy me on all future emails. Thanks!

11/12/10, 8:57 AM  
Blogger Amelia Sprout said...

This is awesome. It makes me wish that my MIL would use email. Also I think we should dig out the email account I setup for the kiddo and let her start dictating things to my mom.

11/12/10, 10:44 AM  
Blogger Loukia said...

So sweet. I get emails from my mom all day when I'm at work, about what the kids are up to when she is babysitting. The emails are always funny and make me laugh. I know every time my boys go pee, how much water they had to drink, how much food they ate, exactly what they're doing every single second of the day. Her emails always end the same sweet way, too:

WHEN ARE YOU COMING HOME??????????????????

ARE YOU FINISHED WORK YET?????????

I AM EXHAUSTED.
Love,
Mommy

(I blogged about this of course. Her emails are priceless!)

11/12/10, 10:47 AM  
Blogger Issa said...

I love this. Made my day.

11/12/10, 11:14 AM  
Blogger Melba said...

I love it!

My girls' Grandma is a lot like Thalia and Sage's, and I don't take that for granted for a second. My girls (and I) are blessed to have a wonderful Grandma in their lives.

11/12/10, 11:40 AM  
Blogger Mandy B said...

Man I hope I'm a cool Grandparent like that (if my kids live that long. :/ curious little buggers) That was very very cute.

11/12/10, 12:32 PM  
Blogger Joanna said...

Now I'm teary eyed! Not that it takes much these days, but that is just incredibly sweet. Both emails are adorable!

11/12/10, 12:37 PM  
Blogger J said...

Love this. VERY sweet. Also, I adored Ponyo. :)

11/12/10, 5:18 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Q. said...

Awesome. sigh. I wish my mom could figure out how to friggin' use a computer.

11/12/10, 5:24 PM  
Blogger Amy Jo said...

I also am a little weepy after reading this. How lucky they all are.

11/12/10, 6:02 PM  
Blogger Eden Riley said...

This is one of the best, most precious blog posts that I will ever read in my life.

Thank you for sharing it.

11/12/10, 6:34 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Em saves all the emails she gets when she is away at summer camp. Yep - they don't do letters anymore, we send emails.

Nonetheless, the habit of simply writing to people you love and having them write back is such a precious gift.

Although, I must confess - I have a handwritten letter from my Grandmother. I love seeing her beautiful script on the paper.

11/12/10, 6:56 PM  
Blogger Mama Bub said...

I am such a sucker for sweet grandparent relationships. Probably because I didn't have that, but my kids do. I love this.

11/12/10, 7:19 PM  
Blogger Tanya Dempsey said...

This email exchange is so beautiful that I'm crying!!

Thank you so much for sharing. I'm in awe of your gorgeous family.

xx

November Grey

Pop over for an awesome Art Giveaway

11/12/10, 8:08 PM  
Blogger sarah doow said...

These are wonderful and will be great to look back on later in life. Make sure you back them up!

11/13/10, 4:39 AM  
Anonymous Jane said...

Aawwww! Wish we could give them our email - they rock! Those are two lucky girls to get correspondence like that!

11/13/10, 9:13 PM  
Blogger Jaelithe said...

Can I rent them? Are they in the market for honorary grandchildren?

11/14/10, 12:32 PM  
Blogger Ericka said...

That is awesome.

Best. grandparents. ever.

11/14/10, 10:35 PM  
Blogger josetteplank.com said...

Very, very sweet!

11/15/10, 5:43 AM  
Anonymous Marjorie said...

Thanks for making me cry at work (almost the 2nd time, 'cuz your post about more time, which I read first 'cuz I missed a few days of posts, so brilliantly described working parents and our time, and I loved the questions you ask your girls). I can't wait to do that w/my folks, don't know why I hadn't thought of it yet, my 5 yo would probably love to help type it. I'd have to spell check most of course, but she'd be happy to type "the." :-) And I've got the run-on sentence things she does so well (hmmm, did she get that from someone?). Love this post!

11/19/10, 3:41 PM  
Blogger Abbey said...

Love this - this is how you grow writers and communicators from my way of thinking. I can't wait until my kids can email my mom!

11/26/10, 11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am SO getting on my mom again about learning how to email after this. those letter/emails are adorable!

12/1/10, 2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home