3.23.2011

Saved by the cookie

This week something really nice happened. And boy, I needed it. Because I feel like I'm having one of those days. Only one of those days turns into one of those weeks, and one of those weeks...well, yeah.

Some of it is a factor of the news of the world; I don't know how we can be plunged into tragedy after disaster after war after horror and still retain a cheery outlook on life. Some of it is a factor of March, which just always gives me the blahs--to say nothing of the fact that Friday was a flip-flop day and today is a snow boot day which is simply the universe being cruel. And I'm sure some of it (a lot of it) has to do with a number of situations beyond my control and eh, I'm a Virgo. I don't like it when I can't change the world by sheer force of will.

I also don't like it when I stop eating bread, which is what my thighs are currently requiring of me. Man, chicken caesar salads make a gal grumpy. What's that about?

Back in the Pleistocene Era when I was in college, I started a manila file folder labeled "Good Things." In it were tests with nice comments from teachers, essays with hard-won A's, love letters from my boyfriend, photos with dear friends, birthday card wishes from Momsie. Whenever I was having a rough day, I pulled it out for a little perspective and a smile.

Of course I was also eating a lot of bagels then, so that helped too.

I don't really have a Good Things folder anymore, although if I did, there would be two things I could put in there this week.

I opened a copy of Bloomberg BusinessWeek yesterday and...hey! There's me!

I'm featured in a special section detailing the 16 women being honored by the Advertising Women of New York next month at their annual Changing the Game Luncheon, for an advertising career that I parlayed into my work on Cool Mom Picks with Kristen Chase (who, if you ask me, is getting the award right along with me). My category is called No Apologies, and it's for the women "behind a new idea or product that enhances people’s lives by making them more fun, easier or better in some way."

I can't think of anything cooler than being honored for making people's lives a little more fun.

Except: the fact that a blogger--a mom blogger--is being honored alongside Fiona Morrison of Jet Blue, Chloe Sladden of Twitter, and Alexa von Tobel of LearnVest, plus big female cheeses at Pepsi, Levi's, Microsoft, Amex and Starbucks? I think it's kind of great for all of us, right?

Besides, it made my Dad proud. That might be best of all.

Thank you so much, AWNY.  I kees you.

Oh, and come to think of it, there is one other thing that goes in my virtual Good Things folder this week:

For the first ever time in my life (**thanks to one of the wildly talented folks at the Sonic Union audio post-production studio), I experienced the joy that is a Cookie Within a Cookie.


So maybe things are looking up.


36 Comments:

Blogger SuzRocks said...

Originally I was going to congratulate you on being important and having all that great stuff happen this week.

THEN, I saw the picture of the cookie. What the heck is that and how do I get one??? Holy crap, it looks like the best thing since Captain Crunch encrusted French toast!

3/23/11, 10:19 AM  
Blogger Veronica said...

Love this post. I, too, recently blogged about the days that turn into weeks when everything just seems harder than it should be.

Congrats on your award! Here's to well-deserving moms everywhere.

3/23/11, 10:20 AM  
Anonymous Selfish Mom said...

OK, I was totally going to post about how wonderful an honor that is...then I got to the cookie and can think of nothing else. It's like the TurDuckIn of cookies. Where does one get such a thing?

3/23/11, 10:21 AM  
Anonymous Annie @ PhD in Parenting said...

Congratulations Liz! Well deserved. :)

3/23/11, 10:21 AM  
Anonymous veep veep said...

Congrats lady!!!!

3/23/11, 10:23 AM  
Blogger Kim Moldofsky said...

Wow, congrats on the cookie, I mean the award. What an honor! I hope you can bask in the warm glow until flip-flop weather returns.

3/23/11, 10:26 AM  
Anonymous Redneck Mommy said...

Mommy bloggers for the win!!!

Congratulation Liz. So very proud of you. And very happy for you. And cookie within a cookie? That's just the icing on today's cake.

3/23/11, 10:29 AM  
Blogger Toni said...

Congrats! Your dad's blog entry is awesome.

And that cookie? I need one!

3/23/11, 10:37 AM  
Blogger Woolly Boo® said...

Congrats Liz! I was just reading it last night, because the paper copy came in on Monday. Really coo and well deserved.

3/23/11, 10:38 AM  
Anonymous The Dalai Mama said...

Congrats Liz--awesome for you and all women. A great message that while we are also moms--it certainly doesn't define us or hold us back (but often actually propels us forward).

Also, that cookie? OMG. I might have to give making those a shot. Was it as good as it looks?

3/23/11, 10:50 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Congrats! and YUM! and Virgo's Unite! We can change the world, ya know!

3/23/11, 10:58 AM  
Anonymous Dana said...

Congrats, Liz! That's awesome! And I hear ya about the bread thing. I miss bagels too...

3/23/11, 10:59 AM  
Blogger Marinka said...

Like a Russian nesting doll! How multicultural.

And a huge congratulations on your award!

3/23/11, 11:15 AM  
Anonymous Julie Marsh said...

I'm afraid I might have to spend the next few weeks trying to recreate that cookie-in-a-cookie.

Congrats, as always. You are amazing and inspiring, and I'm honored to work with you and learn from you.

3/23/11, 11:26 AM  
Anonymous Meagan @ The Happiest Mom said...

Oh Liz! That's fantastic! Congratulations to you, and Kristen too, of course. So proud to know you both!

Also: cooookie

3/23/11, 12:02 PM  
Blogger Danielle-Marie said...

Congratulations! Also, I want that damn cookie.

3/23/11, 12:29 PM  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

SO. WELL. DESERVED. For both of you.

Now, about that cookie...

3/23/11, 1:00 PM  
Anonymous Paula/adhocmom said...

Congrats, that is awesome.
I do feel better about the world in general knowing there are cookies within cookies. . .

3/23/11, 3:00 PM  
Blogger Mom101 said...

Thank you all so much for the good wishes.

But mostly, I'm glad to see I'm not abnormally excited about the Cookie in a Cookie thing. I may have to nab the recipe and bring some to blogher?

3/23/11, 3:13 PM  
Blogger alix said...

the cookie is spectacular, but YOU my friend are the most spectacular of all.

how cool and amazing???

you are officially one of my favorite new people (and i would have said that before you won this fab award).

super proud to know you, mama!
xo

3/23/11, 3:27 PM  
Blogger The Mommy Therapy said...

You AND that cookie make things better. Seriously, where can I get that?

Congratulations on a much deserved award. You are in amazing company, but you fit.

Hope April hurries up and puts you back in flip flops...come down to Austin, we're already all sweaty here. :)

3/23/11, 3:33 PM  
Blogger karen said...

Congratulations on the award, Liz!

Now, how does one get their hands on the cookie within a cookie??? Please share!

3/23/11, 3:58 PM  
Blogger Fairly Odd Mother said...

I'm so proud of you m'dear. If I had a folder of "good things", it'd include a photo of the day we met, oh so many years ago.

Big hugs and cookies for all!

3/23/11, 4:48 PM  
Blogger amy wolgemuth bordoni said...

Congratulations! I always look forward to reading your blog. You so deserve the recognition.

3/23/11, 4:49 PM  
Blogger Mom101 said...

Bless you @jsetrum!

Forgive me for deleting your comment and reprinting here but the long url borks my template. Also love your suggestion to dip in white chocolate for the full turducken effect.

Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies and Nutterbutter stuffed Chocolate cookies

3/23/11, 5:31 PM  
Blogger Eden Riley said...

Fantastic post ... fantastic you!

A cookie within a cookie. Wow. Mindblowing ... the bakery equivalent of Being John Malkovich.

3/23/11, 7:01 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

There's a COOKIE in that other cookie. That's magical.

And oh yeah, nice job on the award but DID YOU SEE THAT COOKIE?

(I hope I grow up to be as amazing as you)

3/23/11, 7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The awesomeness of you does, indeed, rub off on all of us Mom Bloggers...so I thank AND congratulate you. Amazing. Amazing. And besides, it's true. It's not just Cool Mom Picks that makes lives better, but reading your blog: a funny, smart, honest jolt to my days.

3/23/11, 10:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

well deserved. the cookie and the award.

3/23/11, 10:58 PM  
Blogger mannahattamamma.com said...

I totally and completely understand you getting an award. Yay. That's going to go in my good things folder too. A mere mom, winning stuff, even as she acknowledges she's got kids? Astonishing. What are you, Michelle Obama?
But this cookie in a cookie thing. That's pushing it. And it confuses me. So, it's like an oreo inside a chocolate chip? I don't know about that. And I think the Republicans are going to be DEEPLY suspicious. It's like cookie miscegenation or something.

3/23/11, 11:54 PM  
Blogger Liz@thisfullhouse said...

Wow, that's just awesome, congratulations on...oh, look, a cookie!!!

3/24/11, 8:40 AM  
Anonymous Cam - Bibs & Baubles said...

congrats on the honor!!! that's wonderful. In other news, I'm going to need that cookie!

3/24/11, 5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok I just had to google to find that cookie recipe. Mmmm cookies.

WTG on the award - so exciting!

I like having a good things file - I should start that.

3/25/11, 10:37 PM  
Blogger Lady M said...

Go, you!

3/26/11, 4:56 PM  
Anonymous dusty earth mother said...

Congratulations, Liz! It's about time others figured out what we already know. You be cool.

3/30/11, 1:54 PM  
Anonymous Scott said...

An Oreo within a Chips Ahoy? Strange combination, but I'd try it!

Congratulations--and good luck to you!

4/3/11, 7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home