3.25.2006

Way to talk a woman off the ledge

I've said it before, my readers are the most brilliant in all the world. The evidence, from the comments on Friday's WOHM Depression Jamboree:
There are so many support groups out there for SAHMs but none for working moms. I guess we're too busy and tired to attend. -Christina

Kids love and need quality time. Not quantity time. -MegaMom

Part of being a parent: our lives are harder to make their lives better. - Mrs. Chicky

The books do everyone a serious disservice by asserting that there are really only three emotional states after childbirth: bliss, baby blues, or PPD. -2BadLadies

Motherhood is a work-in-progress -Sam

I missed a lot of things that I felt were musts, but I also got to be there for the finished product, after the dress rehearsal, so to speak -Mel

You give her quality time when you can, and as long as she knows she holds the biggest piece of your heart? Nothing else matters. -Puppytoes

The firsts? Not as important as the Always. - Dawn

Through it all, our kids are gonna be fine. It's us I worry about. -Tracey

Your baby is loved. And what the books don't really tell you is that's your only job: love. -scarbie doll
I am awed by the insightfulness, the eloquence, the compassion. Either you're all reading better books than I am, or you're secretly writing one yourself. If so, let me know. I'll plug you hard at Cool Mom Picks.

It was just what I needed to stop beating myself up. Well, that and the pint of hot sake that I convinced my local sushi joint to deliver in a plastic takeout container last night along with the spicy tuna rolls. Nothing like a little illegally-obtained hooch to send you running from the dark side.

Over the next few weeks I'll be blogging from my undisclosed secret location in West Hollywood, home of intoxicated, aging rock stars and the $14 Belgian waffle. I guarantee at least one real celeb sighting this time. Maybe even with pictures. I certainly owe you that much.


11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Makes me wish I was a wohm LOL.

Actually, I am~

I just had to type this to get my damn comment up:

aqbejkhp

3/25/06, 4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmm.... hot saki...

Blog readers/writers are the best. There's a world of untapped knowledge out there. Wonderful when you need another set of ears to listen and another voice to speak to you.

Enjoy your super-secret trip to Hollywood. Can't wait to hear which celebs you are hangin' with.

3/25/06, 4:48 PM  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

Re: awesome and insightful moms/mom-bloggers? Like attracts like.

Now must go and see if I can brave a saki martini...

(So many thanks, BTW, for the lovely comment at my last post. Made my day.)

3/25/06, 6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I missed your last post, but I say 'amen' to all of it.

Especially the part about 'doing it all' which is such a load of crap, a myth perpetuated by advertising (After you're done sealing that multi-million dollar deal, putting the kiddies to bed and satisfying your man, relax with a nice cup of Lipton Spiced Chai!), television (She's a surgeon! She's a mom! She's a Superhero!) and, uh, those UberMoms (Your daughters aren't playing soccer OR taking rhythmic gymnastics? Pity.)

But nothing soothes all ills like a nice big fat pint of hot sake.*

And two weeks in L.A.? If you have time, we have to get together and close down a bar at some point. Or drive through In-N-Out. Or both.

(*Sorry. Passive aggressive spelling correction. Only out of love for my mother-tongue.)

3/25/06, 6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy your trip - can't wait to read about it!!

3/25/06, 7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I started blogging I had no idea that there would be such an amazing, supportive group of people out there! I am glad they were there for you!
Have a great trip!

3/25/06, 10:02 PM  
Blogger Redneck Mommy said...

Here's hoping you don't miss your baby too much! Go for the waffles this time. You deserve them.

3/25/06, 10:44 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Oy. Read your last post and your schedule sounds alot like my hubby's.

I hope things get better soon. And if you ever come through St.L let me know. I know of some great saki places. Yummy! heehee.

Can't wait to hear about your trip.

3/26/06, 2:23 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I have a deep love of Sake, I really do.

3/26/06, 7:05 PM  
Blogger Julie Marsh said...

I missed the last post too, but I do identify closely with all your feelings. Having been a WOHM for the first year of Tacy's life (and a SAHM for almost all of the first year of CJ's life), neither option is easy. For me, what was worst of all was not being prepared to handle the criticism leveled at me for being a WOHM.

Obviously I don't know you or Thalia well, but from what I can see, you're both doing fabulously well. If nothing else, the fact that you care so much means that you're doing a good job.

3/27/06, 8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog! So happy to *discover* it.

4/1/06, 2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home